My name is Matt and my love is eCommerce and helping small & medium sized businesses succeed online with the on-line marketplaces like eBay & Amazon. Hopefully that’s you?
After working with hundreds of businesses over two eCommerce software companies, one of which was eSellerPro. After leaving, my new found independence of all ALL the differing software products affords me an interesting, unique standpoint.
I rarely write an article under a thousand words, this does mean that you’ll end up spending 10 minutes or more on each article, that’s OK, they’re not meant to be short and means we can delve-in-deep into a topic.
I’d love to hear your feedback and you can let me know what you think about what’s been written or what we’ve covered in one of the “eCommerce in Plain English” Podcasts by leaving a comment on the article or posting any suggestions or questions in the forums.
To help you navigate the +300 plus articles I have written, I’ve put together a shortened list to get you started. You can also use the categorisation or the search box over to the right to drill down by a specific topic.
If you have any questions, I’d love you help you. You can get immediate help here in the forums. Registration is free and will take seconds!
The Latest 20 Articles
While many of the older articles are really good (I have to say that I wrote most of them after all), the latest content beings you the most current insights to the online marketplaces and I have created a special page just for you here that shows you the latest 20 articles posted.
Podcast & Subscribe on iTunes
The Podcast I’ve aptly named “eCommerce in Plain English” and can downloaded for free on iTunes so you can pick it up on your iPad, iPhone or Droid or if reading the article, the Podcast is embedded into each article too.
There are several episodes now and and you can view & listen to them all in the Podcast category.
Keeping way from material that has been covered before (which is usually terribly poor), I have been tending to favour a constructive & unique approach to the on-line marketplaces as you’ll see from the articles below:
- Why do eBay Sales Stay Consistent?
- The eBay “Best Match” Position Bias Modifier Hypothesis
- eBay Customer Service Vicious Circle – Seller V’s Buyer
- How To: Using eBay Shop Keywords to Leverage the Extra eBay Shop Pages
- The Top 5 Must-Haves for the Killer eBay Listing
- eBay as a Business – Three Different Ways of Approaching It
- Making Sense of the Pending eBay UK Updates in May 2011
- How to Make Your Own eBay Daily Deals & Weekly Deals
The same with the eBay related articles, I have kept away from the humdrum and taken some unique insights into trading on Amazon.
- How To: Win the Amazon Buy Box
- Part 1: Battle of The Giants – Tesco V’s Amazon – Who Will Win?
(The other parts have not been published, see the comments for why)
- The Amazon Buy Box – You know the Secret Formula Right?
- eBay V’s Amazon – Its a ‘Trust’ thing
The E, S, I & Y Model
This model is a work-in-progress. This is the basis of how I help businesses expand their operations with the on-line marketplaces. Its simple and its mean to be that way. I am also working on the fourth, which is the who/why/when factor, that makes these three factors “great”.
- Part 1: Efficiency
- Part 2: More Sales Channels
- Part 3: (Final): More Inventory
- Part 4: Not yet complete, but suggested here.
I have written several articles whose sole purpose were to question and to provoke others to take action, these are just some of them.
- The Problem With Being an Entrepreneur
- Be a Player not a Bystander. Get in. Get Mucky
- All Things Shiny (Magpies & Jewellery, Business & Technology)
- One Question For The Weekend
- Question Everything
- Success is Knowing You Made a Mistake. Knowing is Everything
- Entrepreneurs Can Change The World
I’ve written a couple of key articles in relation to eSellerPro. While responsible for writing most of the original wiki of eSellerPro, I have kept away from “documenting” the product in the public domain, instead focusing on other areas of interest.
- The First eSellerPro Council
- Preparing for the Increased eBay Titles Before September Using eSellerPro
- 4 Things you did not know eSellerPro could do
- The Unofficial History of eSellerPro
- Part 1: Comma Separated Keyword/Tag Blocks in Your eBay Listings?
- Part 2: Using the Split Keyword to Break up Your Data
And if you’re still stuck?
I’ve worked with literally hundreds of businesses, there is little that I do not know about the on-line marketplaces and surrounding software products.
I made Matt’s eBay update guide mandatory reading for my entire team, it’s that good!
Patrick Sherlock, Luzern Solutions
If so, join over 25,000 people each month that receive updates & support and receive your free copy of the most comprehensive, 5,500 word guide to the pre-Christmas updates for eBay UK 2012.
Just enter your name and email address below: